CID Drops Bombarding Allegations Linking Former Intelligence Chief to Easter Sunday Attacks

0
23

May 21, Colombo (LNW): Sri Lanka’s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) has presented a series of far-reaching allegations before the Colombo Fort Magistrate’s Court, claiming that former State Intelligence Service Director Suresh Salley was closely connected to the planning and concealment of activities surrounding the 2019 Easter Sunday terror attacks.

The submissions, made through the Attorney General’s Department, emerged during court proceedings linked to the ongoing investigation into one of the deadliest incidents in Sri Lanka’s recent history.

Additional Solicitor General Dilip Peiris informed court that investigators had recently obtained what he described as a significant breakthrough after recording a statement from Asad Maulana in France. A CID team led by senior investigator Shani Abeysekara reportedly travelled overseas to obtain the testimony at the official residence of Sri Lanka’s Ambassador.

According to the prosecution, Maulana’s statement contained detailed claims regarding the Easter attacks, including allegations that Salley had played a central coordinating role in events leading up to the bombings. The CID further alleged that the attacks had been orchestrated to influence the country’s political climate at the time.

Court was also told that several political figures, including members of the Rajapaksa family, had allegedly visited Batticaloa Prison shortly after the attacks to meet former Eastern Province Chief Minister Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan, widely known as Pillayan. Prosecutors claimed discussions during the visit included assurances regarding his future release following the presidential election.

The Attorney General’s Department additionally alleged that Salley’s subsequent appointment as head of the State Intelligence Service after the change of government was intended to centralise and restrict the flow of sensitive intelligence information.

In further submissions, prosecutors claimed individuals linked to extremist networks had received financial assistance connected to military intelligence operatives and associates of Pillayan. The court heard allegations that public funds had been used to facilitate bail payments and legal expenses for suspects connected to earlier extremist-related incidents.

The CID also linked several unresolved crimes and attacks on journalists to individuals allegedly associated with military intelligence structures and armed groups operating in the East. These included the disappearance of journalist Prageeth Ekneligoda and attacks on media figures such as Lasantha Wickrematunge, Keith Noyahr and Upali Tennakoon.

Additional allegations presented before court included claims that large numbers of individuals connected to Pillayan’s network had been unofficially maintained through state-funded payments under military intelligence operations.

Prosecutors further stated that after the Easter attacks, Maulana’s family had allegedly been relocated to a hotel in Ahungalla with assistance linked to Salley, while promises of diplomatic employment had also reportedly been made. Investigators said hotel documentation connected to the claims had been obtained during the inquiry.

Representing Salley, President’s Counsel Shavindra Fernando strongly rejected the accusations, arguing that Maulana’s claims remained unverified and could not be treated as credible evidence unless subjected to proper judicial scrutiny and cross-examination.

Following lengthy submissions from both sides, the Magistrate announced that decisions regarding several legal applications, including matters connected to Salley’s appearance before court and requests to record a statement under Section 127, would be delivered on 1 July.

Salley continues to remain under detention orders while investigations proceed.