Finance and Mass Media Minister Mangala Samaraweera yesterday (11) appointed a seven-member committee to review the functioning of state media with the aim of transforming state media into public media.
In a context where a social discourse has been initiated around the use of media and media independence, media experts opine that prior to reviewing private media, state media must be transformed into public media, a press release issued by the Ministry of Finance and Mass Media said.
The committee has been assigned with the task of reviewing the functioning of state media and providing necessary recommendations.
Following are the names of the members of the committee:
- Vijayananda Jayaweera – President of the committee
(Retired Director of IPDC Project, Consultant at UNESCO)
- Jayadewa Uyangoda – Committee member
- Pradeep Weerasinghe – Committee member
(Senior Lecturer at the University of Colombo, Chairman of National Secretariat for Media Reforms)
- Nalaka Gunawardena – Committee member
- Kaushalya Fernando – Committee member
(Actress, External Lecturer at the University of Sri Jayawardenapura)
- Anoma Rajakaruna – Committee member
(Documentary film director)
- Lawyer Sudarshana Gunawardena – Committee member