- High Commission of India in Colombo, Consulate General of India in Jaffna, Consulate General of India in Hambantota and the Assistant High Commission of India in Kandy will organize a series of events across different parts of Sri Lanka to mark the 8th International Day of Yoga on 21 June 2022.
2. A mega public event under the theme “Yoga for Humanity” would be held at the Independence Square in Colombo from 6 am onwards to mark the Day. Participation in the event, which is being held in collaboration with various partners including Ministry of Culture, Government of Sri Lanka, is free for public.
3. An innovative programme, named “Guardian Ring”, under which participation of yoga enthusiasts from different countries, linked to the movement of the sun from, from east to west, will be the hallmark of the 8th edition of International Day of Yoga.
4. It may be recalled that United Nations General Assembly adopted a resolution, piloted by India in 2014, declaring June 21 each year as the “International Day of Yoga”. The resolution was supported by more than 170 countries, with Sri Lanka being one of the co-sponsors of the resolution.
5. Yoga, like Ayurveda, forms a part of shared heritage of India and Sri Lanka.Indian diplomatic offices in Sri Lanka have been celebrating International Day of Yoga with the participation of the Sri Lankan leadership and public since 2015 with great fervour. Average footfall for the event over the years has been in thousands. There was also enthusiastic participation at the virtual events held in 2020 and 2021, when there were restrictions in conducting physical events due to COVID-19.