SRI LANKA ORIGINAL NARRATIVE SUMMARY: 23/09
- Minister Dr Bandula Gunawardene says the Government does not have sufficient funds to pay salaries of Government employees: also says it is not even possible to “print money” because of the “debt restructuring” being carried out via the IMF.
- Speaker says President informed him that the Cabinet, Opposition and interested parties will be briefed on the IMF Staff Level Agreement before it goes to the IMF Board for approval.
- State Finance Minister Shehan Semasinghe says the meeting with external creditors by the Government and its advisors, is the first such discussion: asserts it’s not possible to disclose details to Parliament.
- Envoys from 23 countries attend Forum on debt restructuring: assure support to obtain assistance from IMF for Sri Lanka to recover from the economic crisis.
- SLPP MP Professor G L Peiris says the government is now trying to silence critics in Parliament: expresses concern that the 13 SLPP MPs who joined the opposition ranks are not allocated time to speak.
- President Ranil Wickremesinghe visits the International Book Fair at the BMICH.
- CB Governor Dr Nandalal Weerasinghe warns the country is not out of the woods: during his near 6 months in office so far, foreign debt defaulted: additional Rs.398bn interest incurred by government: inflation up from 18% to 70%: Rupee down from 299 to 370 per USD: “money printing” up by Rs.643bn: “bridging finance” not sourced: “on account” payments stopped: and IMF programme not finalized.
- SLPP MP Mahindananda Aluthgamage says Sri Lanka’s military strength at 247,000 personnel is too expensive to maintain: wants reserve force to be considered: laments Rs.100bn is spent on their food.
- Extended expiry date of the stock of over 6 million doses of Pfizer Covid-19 vaccines due end on 31st October 2022.
- UNP MP Wajira Abeywardene says President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s visit to Japan next week is important to rebuild the country’s economy: also says President Wickremesinghe is the only present leader in Sri Lanka who has