Dinushika Manawadu, Deputy Director of the Dehiwala Zoological Gardens, has confirmed the commencement of an independent investigation following the untimely death of “Haley,” a 30-year-old female giraffe—one of the precious few of an endangered giraffe species housed at the zoo.
Reports reveal that Haley had been grappling with health issues, particularly mobility concerns. Veterinary surgeons at the zoo had administered antibiotics to address an infection on one of her hooves, a measure taken to alleviate her ailments.
Regrettably, it is suspected that the antibiotic treatment triggered an allergic reaction, ultimately resulting in Haley’s demise on Thursday (Dec. 07).
A postmortem examination was conducted by veterinary surgeons affiliated with the Wildlife Conservation Department and the Faculty of Animal Sciences at Peradeniya University to delve into the circumstances surrounding Haley’s passing.
The zoo authorities, led by Director Ranjan Marasinghe, are eagerly awaiting the postmortem report to ascertain the precise cause of Haley’s unfortunate death.
The initiation of the investigation has been directed by the Dehiwala Zoological Garden’s administration, aiming to shed light on the circumstances leading to the tragic loss of the beloved giraffe.