27.03.2023 (Amnesty International): Deprose Muchena will be the key speaker at the regional launch of the Annual Report 2023 on 28 March in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Given the current economic crisis and human rights situation in Sri Lanka, he aims to use his presence to highlight and stress on the urgent need to protect and promote the rights of the of the island’s 22 million people.
Deprose Muchena is the Senior Director for Regional Human Rights Impact at Amnesty International where he oversees Amnesty regional offices across the world to lead the mandate of expanding human rights footprint.
He has previously worked with United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and Open Society Initiative for Southern Africa (OSISA). He has co-edited two books and holds two Master’s Degrees from the University of Cape Town and University of Zimbabwe. He has undertaken advanced Leadership training at Harvard University, Syracuse University, and INSEAD Business School.
Deprose Muchena will be available for media interviews on a range of human rights issues including:
- Sri Lanka’s economic crisis, IMF loan and paths to inclusive reforms and accountability
- Rich, western countries’ double standards and the failure to unite around consistently applied human rights and universal values
- Inadequate responses to a climate and refugee crisis in South Asia, and intense crackdown on the right to protest in Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Maldives, India, Afghanistan and Nepal
- Failure to protect Women’s rights and freedom to protest
- UN Security Council reform